Sunday, January 29, 2006

Blockbuster Rewards Program

I have been off blogging for a week so I don't know if this has been posted already but if not, this is a pretty cool deal. Blockbuster has a new rewards program that you can sign up for at $9.95/year. It offers you several ways to get free rentals. Now it doesn't completely beat Netflix as I will explain in a second but it does come close depending on your rental habits. Here are the highlights of the program:

1. When you sign up (which you can do at any Blockbuster store) you get one free rental.

2. Every month you get 1 free rental whether you have been actively renting or not. So if you only watch 1 movie a month you essentially get free rentals all year. Of course, since most people rent more than 1 movie read on for how you can get more free rentals.

3. If you reach 5 movie or game rentals in one month you get another free rental. Actually, you get 1 free rental for every 5 items you rent so if you rent a lot this is pretty neat. But it gets better.

3. If you rent between Monday - Wednesday you get 1 free movie for every movie or game you rent. Now I wasn't crazy about the program just from 1 or two above but this changes everything. If I rent 5 movies a month but only on those days I get 5 + 5 free (from the rent 1, get 1) + 1 free (for reaching the 5 rental limit) + 1 free (the 1 free per month) .. or 12 rentals per month for the price of 5 movies, or $21.80 total.

Netflix is still a better value if you crunch the numbers for heavy renters but I like the convenience of not having to know ahead of time what I would like to watch this weekend. Plus I don't watch that many movies a month. Maybe 4-6 tops. I am thinking I would probably rent 2 remebering to go only Mon-Wed, get the 2 free + the 1 free per month which will give me 5 movies for the cost of two. $8.72/month. Works for me.

There are a few restrictions: some of the free rentals apply only to non-New releases so if you have already watched everything previously released this may not be that great a deal for you. But if you are like me and looking to cut costs check it out.

1 Comments:

At 3/05/2006 10:52 AM, Blogger Empty Spaces Inc. said...

i used to have this for several years. however last year i didnt get a single free coupon in the mail so i cancelled it.

on the flip side i signed up for the 1 month pass for $15 for the first month. I saw about 20 movies that month! several months went by and i just signed up for it again. probably i'll be able to see about a dozen movies this month so it'll be worth it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home